Many people choose to pursue for a law degree because of the intellectual simulation and the prestige that comes with becoming a lawyer. If you want to become a lawyer, then you should definitely pursue for a law degree, although a counter few states may not require it. There are many advantages of obtaining a law degree and if you are someone who is looking to get a law degree and want to know some more information, then you have come to the right place. This article will take a look at law degree for you.
First step to get a law degree:
- To get a law degree, you should first get 4 years bachelor’s degree from any accredited institution. If you are planning to pursue for a law degree, you can pursue any major of your choice. You can choose majors such as physics, chemistry, mathematics, philosophy, history, English and even criminal justice. Many students prefer to study criminal justice major, thinking that it will give the application to the law school a boost. This is a wrong idea, and students at law school have pursued variety of majors that are already mentioned. Unlike medical school, students don’t need to complete any prerequisite modules and rather should focus on strengthen the speaking and analytical skills that are required for law students.
- Non-traditional students who have taken a break in the middle after getting their bachelors will not be disadvantaged and many schools accept non-traditional students.
- You should take a look at the law school that you are planning to attend. There are a variety of law schools and you will also find that the law schools are ranked as tier. Most of the students aim at attending tier 1 law school as it can give an edge in getting jobs. Also you should take a look at what facilities and resources are available to the students.
- You can also take part for volunteering jobs as it can enhance your skills and also strengthen your application to a law school. You can also shadow a lawyer or take part in internship programs that are available to students. Legal internship or shadowing a lawyer will help you to understand the everyday life of a lawyer and also the work environment. You can also take a look at the specialty that is available when you practice as a lawyer. There are many specialties available and you can make this choice accordingly.
The second step to get a law degree:
- The second to get a law degree is to take LSAT exam, which is a standardized exam that any prospective law student are required to take before attending a law school. Each of the law schools has their own requirement for bachelor’s degree GPA and also the LSAT score. Therefore, if you want to study at your preferred law school, you should take a look at the undergraduate degree and also the LSAT score that is specified by the law school. To prepare for the LSAT exam, you can find a variety of LSAT preparations book and guide books and also you can solve past question paper that can help you with solving the LSAT paper.
- You should register for the LSAT exam at least a month earlier and you shouldn’t wait for the last moment to register. There is a specific fee that you will need to pay while registering for the LSAT exam. If for any unforeseen circumstance, you are not able to take the exam and if you cancel the exam too near to the LSAT exam, then you may not be able to get a refund. There are many locations where you will need to take the LSAT exam. Before going to the LSAT exam hall, make sure you have the required documents and stationeries for the exam. If your score is not satisfactory or you were unable to get the score for your law school, then you will need to re take the exam.
The third step for law degree:
- For the third step, you should apply to the law school that you prefer. When you apply for a law school, you should make sure that you don’t apply to only one or two law schools, rather you should apply to various law schools of different tier and apply to at least to 10-15 law schools. Before applying to law school, it is ideal if you visit the law school beforehand and check the school yourself.
- When applying for a law school, you should take a look at the undergraduate GPA and the LSAT school the law school requires. This way you will be able to prepare for your LSAT exam so that you can get the LSAT score you require.
- If the undergraduate GPA is not up to the GPA score that the law school requires, you can do a post-baccalaureate degree, where you can work hard to increase your GPA. Otherwise if you are still doing undergraduate degree and in case the undergraduate GPA is running low, then you should try to increase the mark of the GPA. There are many law schools that accept students if there is an upward trend in the undergraduate GPA. While many school may accept students with bit low GPA if they have strong and exceptional performance in other areas. However, the student will need to provide a reason for getting the low GPA.
The fourth step to get a law degree:
If your application was considered by a law school where you applied, then you should be called in for an interview to the law school. For an interview, make sure you are wearing your best professional attire and you should make sure that you arrive to the location with enough time on your hand. If you get accepted at the law school of your choice, then you should send an acceptance letter to the school, while for the law schools you will not be attending, you should send out rejection notice that will notify the law school that you don’t want to attend the law school. Each law school will have their own way of notifying and you should take a look at this method of each of the law school where you are planning to apply.
The fifth step to get a law degree:
To get a law degree, you should attend the law school of your choice. Try to attend the orientation week at the law school and attending a law school orientation has many benefits. When you attend the orientation week, you will be able to meet your fellow student and also the professors/lecturers who will teach you for the whole three years. You will not need to choose for any specialty at the beginning of a law school and you can also take electives that are required for the law specialty that you are interested in.
The sixth step to get a law degree:
The sixth step to get to practice with a law degree is to get licensed by the bar of the state. Each of the states has got their own requirements and rules for the bar exam and to practice as a lawyer, you will need to be licensed by the bar and get an admission to the bar of the jurisdiction you are going to practice at. If you are admitted to a bar of one state, you are allowed to practice there but you cannot practice at other states. There are also some additional criteria that needs to be fulfilled such as fitness evaluation and also character evaluation, background check etc. Most of the bar exams at various states are about 2 days long in length, while some states may also have three day long bar exams. Bar exams consists of multistate bar examination and this examination is a type of standardized examination and contains about 200 question.
Some additional advise for law degree:
Most of the standard law degrees are three years long and contains about 90 credits. You should choose your electives carefully. You can take advices from students of upper year and also you should work hard to maintain your overall GPA as it is very important to get the first job.
Why should you attend an accredited law school for your law degree?
For your law degree, you should attend a law school that is accredited. Check for the accreditation with the department of education. If you don’t get an accredited law degree, you will not be able to practice as a lawyer or get licensed and you will need to re-do your degree to be able to get a job and to get licensed.
Conclusion to law degree:
Getting a law degree will not only allow you to become a lawyer and practice as a lawyer, but there are a variety of careers within and also outside the legal sector that you can pursue easily.